Last month, we dug into the seven most common reasons why end users create help desk tickets. This month the focus shifts to the benefits and potential downsides of self-service.
What are the Benefits of Mobility Self-Service?
- Self-service is an option that doesn’t have specific office hours for support; it doesn’t take PTO and never calls off.
- Self-service is immediate, which is a necessity in 2019. 77% of Americans own a smartphone, up from just 35% in 2011. We are conditioned to want our information immediately, and waiting tends to lead to seeking out other areas for the answers we need.
- You are in control. Have you ever left your home without your smartphone? Of course, you have! The dread of losing the control of your iPhone is something you may try to avoid. Self-service keeps you in control.
- You can consume information at our own pace and can revisit content whenever, wherever, however, and as often we’d like. This level of convenience is often unmatched, never surpassed.
- Automation, chatbots and the like are much more cost-effective than maintaining a contact center. We’re always asking to do more with less, and self-service is a hot button item that most of us have been tasked with exploring.
What are the Downsides of Mobility Self-Service?
- Self-service such as, BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), doesn’t mean the needs of your employees go away. They’ll have the same questions and requests as they did before. However, they’ll be able to find the answers at their own pace and specifically when they need them. This means you need to keep the information current. If the information is outdated or missing, you’re going to end up with some frustrated employees.
- Self-service can feel generic at times, as you lose the human interaction and ability to ask a bunch of questions. It’s much more difficult to impress your employees without the personal touch of speaking to someone directly. Learn more about Vox Mobile’s IT support.
- It can be an irritating experience, especially if the implementation was rushed. Content is key, so your employees are only going to get out what you put in.
Are you ready to implement a self-service solution?
Overall, the decision to move towards an omnichannel environment (where companies such as Disney, Starbucks, and Chipotle have done so with rave reviews) is a priority for many organizations and something that should be done thoughtfully and strategically.
Next month we’ll discuss self-service strategies and tips and tricks to leverage self-service whenever support is needed. Subscribe to our blog, so you don’t miss it!