Telecom Expense Management: Putting a Leash on Runaway Mobile CostsTopics: Telecom Expense Management (TEM)
Mobile technology no longer means just mobile phones, but rather any type of mobile device that supports an organization’s employees, customers, members or patients. As the speed of mobile technology advances are clocking in at the speed of sound, companies are finding it more and more difficult to plan for and control the runaway costs of mobility.
Where to Start
Has your organization experienced a regular occurrence of blowing past your monthly mobile budget? If yes, you are not alone. And most companies don’t see an end in sight. Mobile cost management, in simpler times referred to as Telecom Expense Management (TEM), has become a contorted puzzle that can stump even the most experienced IT and Telecom professionals. Looking in the rearview mirror rarely sheds light on where it all went wrong.
Working with hundreds of mobile-critical organizations (crossing a wide variety of industries; healthcare, hospitality, field services, retail, telecommunications, and manufacturing), we have realized that most businesses don’t have any idea of the specific culprits of what is driving up their mobile costs. However, based on our visibility across the wide variety of customers we serve, we have concluded that there is a reasonable answer to managing mobile costs. It starts with getting all your critical mobile cost components priced under one, predictable monthly fee.
Sound too good to be true? It isn’t if you know what needs to be included in these costs to cover your organization’s needs. And this can be as simple as just looking at Device-as-a-Service (DaaS) where you outsource the device procurement, repair and replacement functions for a flat fee. Or, ideally, it also includes Managed Mobility Services (MMS) that ensures you support your organizations EMM, security and end-user help desk needs as well – we call this combo DaaS + MMS.
Assessing Your Enterprise Mobility Needs
We recommend that you start with a look at your reality to determine what a “flat fee” agreement should look like for your organization. That starts with understanding the nature of your mobile enterprise by providing answers to questions like these:
- Do you need to be able to manage large device/application upgrades periodically?
- Are your mobile users highly motivated to have the latest shiny new mobile phone/device (a.k.a. damaged and lost device incidents spike with new device launches)?
- Do you have employees that travel internationally?
- Do you have international customers that use your mobile solutions?
- Do you have a multitude of mobile device suppliers?
- Do you have complicated mobile service contracts?
- Are mobile usage fees unpredictable?
- Do you have mobile user groups that require 24/7 help desk support?
- Are there specific mobile users that inundate your help desk?
- Do your mobile users need a lot of support to keep your mobile applications productive?
- Have you ever had mobile device replacement or repair fire drills that required you to pay a premium to put out?
- Have you ever completed a mobile rollout to find your devices were outdated by the end of the project?
- Are there times you experience a severe spike in end-user help desk tickets and you haven’t been able to respond to the demand?
- Have you ever been surprised by carrier rate increases?
- Are your device suppliers able to provide the provisioning services you need?
These are just a few of the questions that will lead your organization to a clear understanding of what your mobile program needs are. From there, you can look for a solution that will cross over your device procurement and mobile management requirements that must be delivered at one, predictable fee. This will be the only way to truly get control of runaway mobility costs once and for all. A single point of ownership, accountability and predictability at one cost – this is the smartest way to win in today’s mobility game.
READY TO DISCUSS A MOBILITY SOLUTION FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION?
By Julie Smith